Your air conditioner needs to be maintained just like you do every other electrical appliance. It is not a good thing when your air conditioner breaks down when you need it the most. Taking good care of your air conditioner would save you time and money. Regularly maintaining your air conditioner is essential for it to keep operating at maximum efficiency.
You can enlist the expertise of an HVAC engineer to perform regular checks on your air conditioner. However, there are many maintenance procedures you can carry out by yourself.
What to do when carrying out an air conditioner maintenance
- Turn off the power if it is on.
- Clean the air filters: the air filter is one of the dirtiest parts of an air conditioner. Dirt and dust often clog to the air filter, reducing the air con's cooling efficiency by obstructing airflow.
- Clean the evaporator coils: although the air filter works to prevent dust from reaching the evaporator coil, some dirt sometimes makes their way through the air filter. When this happens, the heat-absorbing capacity of the coil is reduced, and the cooling efficiency of the air conditioner also reduces
- Clean the condenser coil: the condenser coil is always outside. This makes it more open to dust and rain. When the condenser is too dirty, it results in the overheating of the condenser and the compressor. It is advisable to clean the condenser coil at least once every year.
- Clean the coil fins: the coil fin is an outer cover of a part of your air conditioner. It is advisable not to use a pressure washer to clean them. Instead, it would be best if you used a sprayer. It would be best to use a butter knife to straighten any bent part of the fins.
- Unclog the rear end of the drain: if the drain's back end is clogged, the water from the inside of the air conditioner would not be expelled. When this happens, the humidity of the room where the AC works would increase.
- Change the blower filter: it is recommended to change your air con's blower filter at least twice a year. If you use the air con in a very dusty location, you should change it more often than twice.
- Cover up the compressor unit during winters: anytime you won't be using the air con for a long time, it is advisable to cover them up so that dust and dirt would not accumulate in the air con. However, it is not advisable to seal up the air conditioner so that moisture would not lead to the air con's components' corrosion.
- Service the AC: this is very important if you have not used the air con for a while. Get a professional AC engineer or an HVAC engineer/technician to clean and service the AC.
Why should you service your air conditioners regularly?
To lower the repair cost.
Your air-con suddenly stops working at the peak of summer can bring you to a place where you have to pay unexpected money out of your pocket. Regularly servicing or maintaining your air conditioner could help you avoid such unexpected expenses.
Taking good care of your electrical appliances could help you use them for long. When you take good care of your air conditioner, it helps make sure that it works with all its components in the best condition, making sure air con last longer before they need to be replaced or even repaired.
It makes the air con work at better energy efficiency.
The longer an air-con works without cleaning, the dirtier the condenser coils become and the air filters and clogged. Also, if your air-con is operating in an ineffective mode due to non-maintenance, it would require more power to work, thereby increasing the cost of running the air con.
Better air quality
When dirt and dust are clogged inside an air conditioner, the air quality that it produces reduces.
air conditioning maintenance London