Independence, Missouri is home to the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum and is where the founder of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith, built the Temple Lot that is sacred to Latter Day Saints. The city can get quite hot during the summer months, so people of all faiths are thankful that Independence is the home of AFC Heating and Cooling who has been serving the area since 1956.
AFC Heating and Cooling began as a one-person operation and has grown to be a major HVAC player in the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area. They now have nearly 30 employees, a fleet of service trucks and a 20,000 square foot warehouse, office, and manufacturing center. They make custom ductwork for every installation in their metal shop. Most of the time the solution is simple when it comes to heating and cooling in Independence, MO, but if your system shuts down in the middle of the night AFC Heating and Cooling has a 24-hour emergency service number to help get your system up and running as fast as possible.
One of the best ways to keep your heating and cooling system running at top efficiency is to clean or replace the filters on a regular basis. Left ignored, the filters will become covered with a grey blanket of dust that erupts into a cloud at the slightest touch. Choosing a replacement filter can be quite a challenge for those not well versed in HVAC lingo so let’s look at a few inside tips that will make choosing a filter easy:
- Nominal Size – When you go to the hardware store to purchase your replacement filter you will find that the actual size of the filter is ½ inch smaller around the perimeter and ¼ inch less thick than the “nominal size” that is printed in the package label. For example, a 24 x 24 x 1 nominal filter will have real dimensions of 23 ½ x 23 ½ x ¾.
- MERV - MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. The MERV scale runs from 1 to 20 and the higher the rating the smaller the particle it can trap. The lower end MERV of 1 to 4 is for filters that can trap pet and human hair but will allow a lot of “bad stuff” through them. High-end filters that have a MERV of 15 to 20 will be able to trap cigarette smoke and bacteria of a very small particulate size.
- HEPA - HEPA is the acronym for High-Efficiency Particulate Air filters that have a MERV rating of 17 to 20 and will remove particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- FPR – This is the Filter Performance Rating used by Home Depot for filters sold at their store. FPR uses colors as well. (Red equals 7 for example)
- MPR – This is just another scale developed by a 3M company and it stands for Micro-Particle Performance Rating.
Hire the Pros
While most anyone can go to the store to buy a filter, having scheduled maintenance performed by professionals like AFC Heating and Cooling is the best way to make sure that you can control heating and cooling in Independence, MO. Call them today to schedule an appointment at 816-347-8388 or send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
How to Choose the Right HVAC Company
Before agreeing to a complete replacement of your system, call around and request an inspection from another company- you may end up saving hundreds or thousands of dollars with a simple repair. Make AFC Heating and Cooling a part of your research when looking for a reputable company for furnace, A/C, or HVAC services. Our technicians work hard to save our customers money by looking for ways to repair equipment before suggesting a system replacement. Perform due diligence and choose a company that is focused on meeting your needs rather than improving their own bottom line.
Maintenance & Repairs- Two Affordable Services from AFC Heating and Cooling
Did you know that seasonal maintenance and tune-ups to your heating & cooling systems can reduce the frequency of repairs and extend the lifespan of equipment? Our techs can come out before critical summer and winter usage and inspect your equipment, make minor repairs or upgrades, and prevent interruptions to your life by keeping your HVAC in good working condition. By cleaning or changing out filters and looking for small problems before they turn into costly ones, we can keep your equopment going strong. Don't hesitate to call our team if you're experiencing any issues with your HVAC. We can troubleshoot the problem and get things back up and operating efficiently in no time.